Sunday, May 30, 2021

Hold My Breath

If you tire of trying
    And I tire of letting you
We'll get around to dying
    Nothing else to do
I'll give up on complying
    Death is a battle all lose
    Wearing slowly at my muse

Lie to me awhile
    And if I can't believe
Let my mouth fill with bile
    I'll tear the heart from my sleeve
Hold tightly to your smile
    Take what I can get
    Forgive you so you can forget

Of all that remains -
    Of all that is left -
Let it run through my veins 
    Raging and bereft 
Desired all these pains
    You gave them to me willingly
    Often and so wantonly

Make it better someday
    Undo all you did
You've nothing left to say
    Telling all they forbid 
Better to cut ties when they fray
    Only to pick up the pieces
    But it all still decreases 

Reality pulls at me
    Remember - it all ends in death
Echoes of all I gave freely
    Echoing - I'll hold my breath
And pull back at reality
    And wait for you to breathe
    Till my blood begins to seethe 

Tire of it all and let go
    Hold only that which feels right
Hold on until there's nothing left to show
    Etch it into our hearts and watch it fade out of sight

1 comment:

  1. Two acrostics in one. The unindented lines spell: I will hold my breath. Indented lines spell: And wait for you to breathe. Lyrics from Entertaining Angels by Newsboys

    ReplyDelete