Sunday, August 9, 2020

Echos

I ran out of things to say
How many words ago?
All the thoughts kept pouring out
Tighten my grip - go with their flow

Eyes are windows to the soul -
Tell me, what happens when we cry?
Has your soul dripped out yet?
Empty as a clear sky

What if I catch your tears
And hold them in my palm?
You can let go of the pain
I'll keep it until things calm

Loosen my grip - try to think
Of anything else at all
Vicious cycles circle the air
Enjoying everything but the fall

Turn up the music - turn off my brain
Humming memories flow
Echoing through every note
Warm feelings start to grow

And then it turned to bitter cold
You shiver too, I bet . . . I think
Ice grows so quickly
Told myself not to blink

How many words to go?
Useless amounts spiral out
Rolling off your tongue no more
Tightened lips full of doubt

Shiver - tremble - hold my tears
Well them up in my eyes
Has my soul dripped out yet?
Empty as a smiling guise

Notes still seep between my ears
I'll keep them until I'm calm
Listening to my memories
I'll feel your fingers in my palm

Silly tunes that always bring
Thoughts of your eyes - hands - smile
Enjoy them - hate them - need them
Needlessly torturing myself for awhile

Tighten my grip and try to think
Of anything else at all
I'll still allow them to replay
Til all the stars fall

1 comment:

  1. Inspired by the song Shut Up Kenny by Walker Hayes. The acrostic (I hate the way I love the way it hurts when I listen to it) is a line from said song, and the subject matter is similar - I just don't specifically target Kenny Chesney ;P

    ReplyDelete