Sunday, July 26, 2020

Render

I suppose I might drown
Suppose I'm just a fool
I'll render and melt down
Into a flowing pool
Of passion and remorse
Time always takes its course
I'll evaporate
You can breathe me in and out
Back and forth again like your doubt
Leave it up to fate

I watched you as you left
Never asked you to stay
Now I'm feeling bereft
Lacking a smile today
Forever lacking you
Are you lacking me too?
Won't you let me know
If I ever cross your mind?
Forever wishing we could rewind
Time's persistent flow

It's getting late again
Darling, it's been so long
Still feeling all the pain
How did things go so wrong
When it always felt so right
Holding you in the night -
Do you remember
The way you set my heart ablaze?
Now I've spent so many days
Dousing each ember

And now I've grown so cold
You've gone so far away
Darling, I feel so old
Watching our edges fray
Time continues its course
Flows from an unknown source
It evaporates
Like everything we've ever said
Someday it's bound to leave my head
Helpless to the fates

You rendered me helpless
I rendered you a fool
Now I'm missing your kiss
Melting into a pool
I suppose I might drown
Rendering, I melt down
Dousing each ember
That used to blaze so brightly
Back when you said you couldn't even breathe without me
. . . Do you remember?

2 comments: