Sunday, October 16, 2022

Still

So shall I have a profound thought today
Amidst all this open air?
With still water stretching on and on
And leaves falling without a care
Sitting talking to empty space
Because you're not there

The sun bringing sweat to my brow
The wind sending shivers up my spine
It's all an ongoing balancing act
And I can't toe the line
Regardless of every possible thought
Still the sun will shine

And what am I, amidst this air
Amidst all possibility?
A speck of dust in a finite world
A speck in a universe of infinity 
Amidst all the things I could have been -
Who am I to still be me?

Profound enough?  I don't know -
Have I fulfilled the quota of the day?
When the same wind that chills my bones
Allows the leaves to play
How can I still my tumbling mind
And find something worth trying to say?

Still sitting talking to empty space
Because you're still asleep 
Amidst this cold night warmed by you -
This shallow haven in a neverending deep 
The world will go on without me
Still - these moments are mine to keep

No comments:

Post a Comment