Sunday, November 28, 2021

Maybe

Maybe it doesn't mean anything at all
Maybe it's better that way
To let it all fade and forget
Rather than holding onto yesterday -
Because I suppose I had to be lying
When I said that I needed you
Because I'm surviving just fine now
. . . I guess I just wanted you to say it too

And maybe I'll understand it all someday
Or maybe I won't even care
And I'll forget how it felt to have your arms around me
And the feeling of my fingers in your hair -
Because I suppose I had to be lying
Said I'd always love you even though
Love was something you would profess
But never could show

Maybe I was just fooling myself
Maybe it never meant as much as I thought
Because I spent too many tears
On moments that weren't worth being bought -
Because I suppose you had to be lying
When you said I was worth it
When you said you'd hold on this time
And promised we would never be a regret

Maybe there's a lesson to be learned
But I doubt I'll let it sink in
Because I can't quite hide away my heart
Just because of when -
We both lied to ourselves
And to each other too
And let go of everything else
To hold onto me and you

No comments:

Post a Comment