Sunday, June 27, 2021

Tempest

In the twilight hours it may call me
Winding time beneath my stare
In the darkness where it's lonely
Laying with tangled fingers in my hair

Lost in selfish fancies
Night seeps into my skin
Ocean waves roar in the breeze
Tides bring what was lost back in

Yet what must be gone forever
Is what I really want
Each night will endeavor
Like an echo, to trick and haunt

Don't listen to the whispers
Their promises run dry
Heart covered in blisters
Over the cracks that bleed through each eye

Ugly as that makes me
Growing weaker every day
Haggard and forlornly 
 . . . You just had to have your way

Oceans of water surrounding -
Understand, they couldn't hurt
Half as much as this hounding -
A fraction of remembering how we used to flirt

Used to, but nevermore
Now that I know what you truly are
Tempests whirl within your core
 . . . Memories still cling to me like tar

Etched yourself into my heart -
Tear it out and start anew
Ignite my soul, allow me a restart
Love is so much truer without you

Darkness yet follows
Echoing "til death do us part, you said"
And in the desperate attempt to claim this rose
Tempests rise around my head
Hold too tightly, and I am dead

1 comment:

  1. Acrostic: I will not yield, though you haunt me til death. From A Long Fatal Love Chase by Louisa May Alcott, only the book says "hunt" instead of "haunt" - I just preferred haunt

    ReplyDelete