Monday, March 25, 2019

Quaternary Blow

Time sucker punched me today
In my gut - knocking my air away
"Surprise!" it said, "Here's four years of your life
Gone forever - all the happiness and strife"

I doubled over in pain and realization 
I'd been so focused on my incoming high school graduation 
My blog's fourth anniversary had slipped my mind
"Forgetful child," time maligned 

"Four years of your life - and you forget!
How disappointed your younger self would be with all of it
Tests, invites, and driving - more crucial 
Than pouring out your soul?

Tell me, which will matter more when you're dead?"
I shrugged helplessly and sat down to hold my head
"Neither," I suggested with a nervous laugh
"None of this will matter half

As much as I thought it did -
What I showed and what I hid
In fear of what'd be thought of me
What I caged and what I set free-"

"Nonsensical poet," time chided, "You drift astray
From the point of the day-"
I crossed my legs and tilted my head
"The point being . . . what?" I said

Time held out a hand to help me to my feet
"You act as if I've been discrete!
Four years of your life - get your head out of the sand!
Get your hands out of your pockets and your feet back on land

It's your anniversary - be happy - celebrate!
Rather than never, let your smile be late
You've accomplished something - take a moment to reflect
Wash away the dust you allowed the past to collect

It's gone and done - you've made it through
But don't forget the lessons it taught to you
Store them in your mind neatly - not in your usual muddled bunch
And maybe next year you'll remember to block my punch"

No comments:

Post a Comment