Sunday, January 1, 2017

Alive

I started the new year
Alone
On a couch
Eating chocolate
Watching a movie I've seen a million times

I went to bed at 12:30
Fell asleep at 2
Woke up at 9
Too early for a Sunday
But at least now it's tomorrow

Because yesterday I listened
To the people outside getting drunk
And setting off fireworks
Like the bang of a gun
BANG!

Why do they all
Want to start the new year drunk
Kissing a stranger as the ball drops
Making stupid choices
They won't even remember making?

I was alone
Because I spent the night at my sister's
And she clocked out at 11
And her baby woke her up at 9:30
Too early for a Sunday

If it weren't for the fireworks
I wouldn't have even realized
When midnight hit
And now it's today, the first of 2017
And nothing has changed

People make resolutions
And break them soon after
People say thank god 2016's over
But they'll treat 2017 the same way
So why do we celebrate?

I don't know about them or you
But I celebrate because-
I am alive
I survived another year
And nothing majorly bad happened during it

I celebrate because-
This year I can try more
I can be better
I may fail, like I have before
But I can still try

But, you know what?
I do not need
A whole new year
To have a whole new start
I don't even need a new day

Every minute is a chance
To try harder
To give more
To be the change
You want to see in the world

So treat every day
Every minute
Every second
Like it's the beginning of a new year
But not by making stupid choices you won't remember making

But by having resolutions
And believing you'll keep them
By celebrating the fact
That you
Are still
Alive

1 comment:

  1. Hiya Celora!
    I can completely understand where you're coming from. I don't understand why people want to spend the first minute of a fresh start drunk and kissing people :P
    Every single second gives you a chance to try and do something. Very motivational; keep it up!
    Lauren xoxo

    ReplyDelete