Sunday, March 14, 2021

Forbidden Fruit

Tis the beginning of a new day
Yet tis the end, I suppose they say
What can I do, but watch it all disappear?
What can I think, with all that I hear?
All their opinions invade my head
Shall it confuse me until I'm dead?
Or shall it all fade from my mind?
Oh, if only the world were so kind

So shall I in anger slam the door?
Avow to be swept away no more
Assert every word we breathed, we lied
Shall my emotions I simply try to hide?
Or shall I daydream and never move on?
Forever insisting you're not really gone
Shall I resign myself to one fate?
Only accept what's been put on my plate
I could go on, but, alas, it's all moot
For I am only forbidden fruit

And what are you - what be thy name?
Made from ice, and I am flame
Get too close and you'll only melt
How could you not, with all that we felt?
Now you will freeze into something new
Best of luck finding a mold to suit you
Careful now, for I know I'm fire -
How shall you ever be happy when you push back what you desire?

And I shall blaze and smolder on
Wondering at all we've forgone
My thoughts like sparks dancing overhead
Spurred on by thoughtless flames that we fed
Knowing all along that water and fire
Are not something the other ought to desire
Though, in truth, I doubt you ought to be cold
You shan't find your true breadth inside of a mold
But, like roses wither, resolve fades away
Even those forged in fire can't always stay

Yet here I am, talking to you still
Why do I bother?  You'll do what you will
So shall you resolve to slam the door?
Let me burn you up no more
Shall you daydream and never move on?
Forever hoping what we had isn't gone
I could go on, but you know it's all moot
For I am only forbidden fruit

No comments:

Post a Comment