Monday, January 11, 2016

From - Your Little Soldier Boy (#1)

Dear Mother,
     I am grateful to be able to say
That after everything I've managed to stay okay
     I long for home, but at least I'm alive to long for it
Others are not as fortunate
     There's death in the very air I breathe, mother
At every days end I believe it impossible for me to last another
     Even if my body survives this war
death has settled at my very core
     It plagues my nightmares and haunts me during the day
And here I am saying that I'm still okay...

     I'm not okay, mother, I'm sorry, but I'm not
I want to be strong, but half the time I'm wishing to be shot
     I know I'm supposed to stay brave, and I'm trying so hard
But I feel as if I've played my last card
     I've run out of cards, run out of choices
I'm stuck listening to people who talk just to hear their own voices
     The courage in my heart has run out
I'm plagued with so much doubt...

     I don't know why I'm here anymore
It's all so pointless, this war
     But this isn't what you want to hear, is it?
You want to hear of my strength, not my wanting to forfeit
     So I suppose I'll just crinkle this letter up and start anew
The only similarities between this letter and the next the forever true
              signing off words of I love you

3 comments: