Sunday, November 1, 2015

Silent

After it all
The rise and the fall
The smile and betrayal
The strong and the frail
The blue and the gray
I can still stand up and say
"I am unbroken."
But my thoughts remain unspoken
As I do not stand and speak
For fear of being viewed as a freak
So my thoughts remain in my head
Crashing down on me as I lie in bed
So I cannot be calm and sleep
Through my ears and eyes they creep
But not through my lips
For fear the scale tips
And everything goes crashing down
I dare not smile, nor frown
I dare not shake my head, nor nod
For I am just one of the cattle, and they wield the prod

They prod, punch, and thwack
But I do not crack
For even if my thoughts aren't spoken
I am unbroken
And shall remain to be
Until I can make it so the prod is wielded by me
And when the prod is in my hand
I shall not use it, for I understand
The pain it can bring
To any person or thing
The people it can break
The morals it can shake
And I shall mend those who have been broken
And give voice to those who remain unspoken
When I am the wielder the world will no longer be violent
But for now . . . I remain silent

10 comments:

  1. Nice piece....but why silent?
    So people don't consider you a freak?
    Lol see I am a freak and I say what I want when I want. Your a great writer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Redondo. I also usually say what I want, but I already made a poem about that before, so that's why silent :)

      Delete
  2. Good work Blair. you've achieved the rhythm in your poem, but remember the silence of the good people is what kills the society

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hillary. I agree, people should speak up, but shoving into peoples faces telling them to talk won't exactly do much good, so I'm kind of going for reverse psychology :)

      Delete
  3. Really like your poem. The Bible teaches we should be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath and to speak the truth in love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you did a great job! You could reach at great heights coz you are simply amazing!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really loved the flow and rythmn. Take a moment and try a narration. I believe it would really deliver well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked up the definition of a narrative poem, and I think quite a few of my poems fall at least near that category. But the definition is rather vague, so I'm not really sure. Thank you for the input though :)

      Delete