Sunday, August 23, 2020

The Cost

I'll watch the sun set
Darkness slowly moving in
Over the land and through the sky
Night sinking into my skin

Once upon a midnight thought
Thinking of anything but you
Wishing on the stars
And everything else I'm supposed to do

Nature whispers in my ear
Tonight, we'll just forget
Tonight, we'll be at peace
Only, I must let go of everything sunlit

Tomorrow, we'll worry again
Hurry to finish it all
I don't care anymore
No - tonight, we can watch the rain fall

Killing time til I die
Always waiting for the stars to shine
Bathing in moonlight and thoughts
Opaque notions I can't define

Understanding everything
Tonight, I don't care
Yesterday, nothing made sense
Or vice versa, lying there

Until the starlight fills the air
All my thoughts will swirl
Near enough to touch now
You can watch me unfurl

Midnight will bring serenity
Opaque memories I'll leave behind
Rushing time will bring perspective
Eventually, I'll get you off my mind

Day turns to night - present becomes past
Each moment is slowly lost
And pain is the price of life sometimes
Really, it's not such an unreasonable cost

1 comment: